Guilder is a cafe and roastery in the Alameda-Irvington neighborhood of NE Portland (24th/Fremont). We roast and serve our own coffee (Junior’s Roasted Coffee), as well as food, wine, beer and cocktails. Although we are a young company, our partners, co-owners and staff bring a wealth of experience in the hospitality and speciality coffee industries. We’re seeking members to join our team who are excited about being involved in a growing endeavor and building not only a special place for our neighbors and guests to enjoy an excellent coffee and service experience, but a community in which to grow and thrive as people and influence positive changes in the industry.
All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, gender identity, or any other discriminating factors.
Please bring in or send a current resume and a brief explanation of why you’re interested in working at Guilder/Junior’s Roasted Coffee. Feel free to tell us any additional information not included on your resume about your applicable work and/or volunteer experience in culinary arts, hospitality, customer service, etc.
Caryn & Mike Nelson
*Guilder’s current kitchen manager is planning to leave in mid-february to start her family. we’re seeking a cook to join our team at the beginning of the new year to train with the KM at 30 hours/wk to start before taking over the FT position.
As a Kitchen Manager, you are expected to act as a critical member in over-seeing the day-in and day-out functionality of the kitchen and kitchen staff. Your key responsibility is to communicate and embrace with the staff our vision and standard of service. Together, we will work to provide a memorable experience for each of our guests, while simultaneously creating a wonderful environment for people to work.
● Knowledge, background, and experience working in a kitchen environment, and hospitality field. supervisory experience preferred
● Self-motivated with the ability to manage independently
● Able to delegate/follow instructions and recipes
● Able to multi-task
● Strong attention to detail
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Proficient knife-skills
● Basic knowledge of math and computation skills
● Able to maintain a clean and organized work environment
● Able to obtain Oregon Food Handler’s permit
● Always treat guests, employees and co-workers with courtesy and respect in a variety of situations
● Practice honesty & integrity
● Maintain open communication with staff members and co-owners
● Responsibly and professionally deal with any incident on premise promptly
● Acknowledge and engage all guests warmly
● Resolve any issue with a guest brought to your attention immediately, and with tact
● Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation, and organization of all service and dining areas
● Follow health, safety, and sanitation guidelines for all products and equipment
● Attend quarterly staff meetings/trainings and annual retreat
● Learn, understand, and execute recipes/menus
● Food prep, cooking, and assembling and expedition of plates
● Ensure proper food-handling procedures, sanitation and cleanliness in kitchen
● Accurately handle food items to minimize waste
● Creates, tests, QCs recipes, & maintains documentation of recipes
● Supervises, coaches and mentors cooks. Assists with performance reviews of cooks with co-owners.
● Educates staff on new menu items
● Advises co-owners on scheduling kitchen staff
● Maintains relationships with vendors
● Seeks out purveyors and negotiates pricing when necessary, in conjunction with co-owner.
● Order and receive of product, keep inventory
● Oversee food safe environment
● Works with all staff to ensure quality food presentation
● Maintains kitchen equipment and kitchen facility including leased equipment
● Attends weekly meetings with co-owners
● Stand and walk for extended periods of time
● Bend and stoop to grasp objects. Bend and twist neck and waist, reach above and below shoulders and squat
● Bend and lift loads, not to exceed 50 pounds. Push and pull carts weighing up to 100 pounds.
● Repetitive use of hands for grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation
BASED On experience. We utilize a transparent wage model.
There is a 90-day introductory period. This is an opportunity for us to get to know you as well as for you to get to know us to make sure the position is the right fit.